Read Luke 1:39-56
Looking at verses 39-45 initially, what do we learn from these verses?
- After her visitation from the Angel Gabriel, Mary, even with her faith would perhaps have been unsure exactly what to expect when she went to visit Elizabeth.
- The moment Mary came on the scene, Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit and the baby in her womb le[t for joy.
- Elizabeth’s greeting must have conformed Mary’s faith even more.
- Although Elizabeth herself must have been overjoyed with her own pregnancy she was more overwhelmed that the Mother of her Lord should come to visit her
As we read verses 46-56 what do we learn from this wonderful song of Mary’s?
- It very much echoes Hannah’s song in 1 Samuel 2:1-10.
- It’s a song of overwhelming joy but also of great humility.
- In referring herself to being blessed, Mary wasn’t being proud, rather she was recognising and accepting this wonderful gift that God has bestowed upon her.
- Mary glorifies God for what He will do through His Son.
- God is depicted as the One who will look after the poor, the oppressed and the despised.
- He will feed the hungry and be merciful.
- Through His Son, God will fulfil the promise He made to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
- Through His Son, God will be with us forever.