Read Jonah 3
What is significant in the opening verses of chapter 3?
- The opening verses speak of Jonah’s recommissioning.
- The use of the phrase a second time reminds us that God is giving Jonah a second chance here.
- This time there is no message content given to Jonah at this specific time.
- This time Jonah obeys the word of the Lord an heads to Ninevah to do as God said.
- Again we have a time period of three days mentioned in this mission.
What happened when Jonah got to Ninevah?
- We are told the people believed God.
- As evidence of that they covered themselves in sackcloth and ashes and fasted.
- And we are told that everyone repented, from the King to the least.
- As a consequence God relented from the disaster He was going to bring upon them.
What can we learn from these verses?
God is gracious and compassionate.
God’s Word is for everyone, irrespective of who we are or what we may have done.
However, listening is not enough, we have to act upon it.
For years the people of Israel had heard God’s Word but refused to repent – the people of Ninevah heard it once and repented?
How well do we listen to and act upon the Word of God?